The key to gorgeous, salon-level hair every day is a great hair dryer for easy blowouts at home. Lucky for you, we’ve got the full blow-by-blow on the best hair dryers — complete with top-tested picks from the Good Housekeeping Institute’s Beauty Lab, Good Housekeeping Seal earners, and best-selling editor favorites. But before you get shopping, the first question you might be wondering is, what’s the best hair dryer for my hair type?
Turns out, it’s not all that important! “All hair dryers work just fine on all hair types,” says Sabina Wizemann, senior chemist at the Beauty Lab, and she has a good point: If we needed to find the best hair dryers for curly hair, straight hair, or thin hair, “we would see hair stylists and hair salons have different types of dryers on hand to work on their clients’ hair.”
What makes a great hair dryer?
You’ll want to consider a hair dryer with adjustable heat and speed settings, including a cool shot button which can help to close the hair’s cuticle and lock in the style, preventing frizz once you step away from your hair dryer. You should also make sure the various attachments suit your hair: They really make a difference on varying hair types and textures since they affect the airflow of a hair dryer.
- Diffusers are great for people with curly hair because they circulate air to the ends of hair while diffusing the airstream from the hair dryer to prevent frizz, which can help to define curls and even add volume.
- Concentrators narrow the hair dryer’s airflow to blow air directly on the hair for smooth, sleek styles. They come in different sizes for varying purposes: Broad, extended concentrator nozzles are meant for larger surfaces and are “useful for thick and long hair as they help it dry faster,” says Wizemann. Short, narrow concentrator nozzles provide curly and frizzy hair the opportunity for a sleek blowout, since their powerful flows are great for eliminating frizz.
Whether you’re going for everyday at-home use, the best travel hair dryer, or pro-level blow-outs every few days, you won’t be disappointed with our top picks. Here are the best hair dryers you can buy:
You may already know about CHI’s flat irons, but the CHI hair dryer is a cult favorite, too. This has a built-in touchscreen to adjust the settings. GH testers had mixed feelings — some loved it, some found it difficult to use — but everyone liked the hefty size of the dryer.
Attachments: 1 concentrator and 1 diffuser, Heat and speed settings: Adjustable with speedometer.
Experience the second generation of touch-screen styling with the new design of the CHI Touch 2 Hair Dryer. Slimmer and superiorly lightweight, it features a compact 2.4 inch touch screen control and a unique speedometer easily customizable intelligent settings, including controlling the speed, temperature, and ionic output.
- Touch screen control: New touch screen design with easily adjustable speedometer dials for speed, temperature, and ion control.
- New design: Lighter and more compact with a concave handle for a more comfortable grip position.
- 3D ion generation system: Emits over three times more ions to reduce frizz.
CHI Deep Brilliance Hair Dryer$199.96 Add to cart
CHI Style Series Ceramic Hair Dryer$69.99 Read more
CHI 1¼” Tourmaline Ceramic Tri-Styler$99.99 Read more
CHI Ceramic 1000W Mini Travel Dryer$39.99 Add to cart
CHI Air 1875 Series Ceramic Hair Dryer
CHI Dura Professional Dryer
$259.96Add to cart
CHI Onyx Euroshine Hair Dryer
$159.99Add to cart
CHI Dura CHI Handshot Dryer
$239.96Add to cart
CHI Touch 2 Dryer$180.99 Add to cart
CHI Pro Dryer$129.99 Add to cart
CHI Lite Carbon Fiber Dryer
$199.96Add to cart
CHI Rocket Hair Dryer$159.99 Add to cart