Miss Universe Philippines 2018 Catriona Gray is Your New Miss Universe!
The journey to the crown is complete! Congratulations to our new Miss Universe 2018, Catriona Gray.
It began with 94 hopeful contestants (shattering last year’s record of 92) vying for the crown and concluded with the 24-year-old model and singer emerging as the newest Miss Universe, succeeding Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters. Catriona is only the fourth Fillipina to earn the distinguished title since the competition’s inception. South Africa’s Tamaryn Green was named first runner-up.
During the Preliminary Competition, Farouk Systems founder, Dr. Farouk Shami, briefly styled Catriona using the CHI LAVA Hairstyling Iron. Lava seemed to have special significance as the red evening gown she adorned for the winning moment was actually inspired by Mount Mayon, a famous volcano in the Philippines. Miss Universe 2005, Natalie Glebova, was also backstage and had a chance to speak to several members of the CHI Global Artistic Team about their favorite CHI products, innovative styling tools and the amazing looks they were creating for the competition’s contestants.
Wondering how Catriona got her winning look known as the Lava Wave? 7 simple steps create this crown-worthy style:
1. To create the foundation for her winning style, Catriona applied CHI 44 Iron Guard and used CHI’s Enviro 54 Hairspray Natural Hold all over for natural control.
2. Then, she divided her hair in two sections by using a middle parting.
3. She began taking 2-inch square sized subsections to curl the hair backwards and away from the face. She continued this step until all of her hair was done.
• One of the key benefits of the CHI LAVA Pro Spin n Curl is that she could easily curl her hair backwards on both sides, just by using the two arrow buttons on the tool to pick which direction the iron will spin.
4. To complete, Catriona mixed a few drops of CHI Silk Infusion and CHI Pliable Polish for shine and to tame any flyaways for an HD finish.
5. When she made it to the Top 10 (also wearing her lava red gown!), Catriona asked CHI Hairstylists Julián Macías and Leonel Rodriguez to change her hair to a sexy retro side look. Quickly done during a commercial break, Julián and Leonel both used the CHI Turbo Backcomb Brush to make the parting and add volume at the root.
6. They then misted the Lava Waves with more CHI Enviro 54 Hairspray Natural Hold and combed the style in place.
7. To finish, they misted CHI Shine Infusion all over for a beautiful weightless, camera ready shine.
Shortly after being crowned, Catriona gave her first live interview to Kalani Hilliker backstage in the CHI Lounge:
We wish Miss Universe 2018, Catriona Gray, a heartfelt congratulations and wish her well during her reign.
Check out these never-before-seen photos from Prelims and the Live Show: