Traveling abroad is a super exciting thought, until you start thinking about how you’re going to look your best while Tweeting out your adventures.
In case you didn’t already know, not all curling irons are created equal, nor do they all travel the same. If you’re heading off for a few weeks in Europe, you’re going to need one that can take the heat, literally. Having a dual voltage curling iron packed in your bag will get you the style you want, without the risk of burning the house down! (Or melting your curling iron).
I’ve reviewed the best curling irons for travel, and have put together some points to consider when choosing the best option for your needs.
Things to Consider:
- Size and portability. If you’ve got long or ultra thick hair, a compact curling iron model might not be your best bet for traveling with. Choose the right barrel length for your hair, and you’re sure to love the results. If you do need something to toss in your bag and go, the travel size products could be your new go-to for styling on the go.
- Dual Voltage. If you want to use your curling iron outside the U.S., you’ve got to look for one with dual voltage capabilities. Keep in mind, too, most curling tongs will come with a standard American plug, so you’ll need a plug adapter to fit European outlets. Don’t leave the States without it!
- With Cord or Cordless. For ladies traveling to remote areas, or going long periods without power, a cordless option may be best. These models are usually compact and heat up quickly. Make sure to check airline policy before you pack–butane cartridges can’t be packed in your carry-on, and you don’t want security chucking the heart of your curling iron into the trash!
- Varied Hairstyles. If you’re a lady who likes bouncy big curls one day and chic smooth styling the next, check out the 2-in-1 options in the review section. Those curlers let you decide what style you want and save you from bringing along both your curling iron and hair straightener.
Now that we’ve got some information, let’s check out some FAQ’s to answer a few more questions before moving on to product reviews.
First, what does dual voltage even mean for a curling iron? Dual voltage is required when you want to use your curling iron in the United States and in other countries. Dual voltage curling irons will work in 110v-120v and 220v-240v outlets. They will automatically switch to the proper voltage setting when you plug them in. Are most curling irons dual voltage? No, don’t assume. You should always check if it has dual/universal voltage. Is Beachwaver dual voltage? This popular brand is NOT dual voltage, contrary to what some people believe. You can only use it for travels within the US.
Second, do you need special accessories? Yes, a thousand times. When taking your dual voltage curling tongs around the world, make sure you have an adapter for your plug to fit the outlet style of the country you are visiting. Without your plug adapter, you won’t be able to plug your product in!
Third, can you use your curling iron in Spain and other countries in Europe? Again, YES! As long as it is dual voltage capable and you remembered your plug adapter.
Finally, can you take a curling iron on a plane? Corded curling irons can be tossed in your carry on and travel right by your side. If you are using a butane powered curling iron, it must be stored in your checked baggage. Follow the rules, or security is likely to take your butane and leave you with no power for your device!
CHI Travel Curling Iron
CHI makes traveling in style a breeze with this 3 in 1 flat iron, curler, and wave styling heat tool. This CHI dual voltage curling iron will save you from extra checked baggage fees and bad hair days. This 3 in 1 tool features a tourmaline ceramic barrel and infrared heat, a true one-two punch that protects your hair from damage and keeps frizz and flyaways at bay. It is important to remember this is a compact sized product designed to travel easily.
Create beachy waves one day and a sleek, chic style the next. The smaller size may not be convenient for longer, thicker hair but it does feature the same curling and straightening power as the full sized product. It heats up to 392 degrees so is good for thin and slightly thick hair. The dual voltage capability rounds out the features of this travel-ready beauty tool.
If you’re a CHI fan and are looking for a Chi travel curling iron, the CHI Air Travel 2-piece Collection is your best bet as it comes with a travel hair dryer too.
- Iron heats up to 392 degrees for internal & external plates. Helps reduces frizz and helps provide unparalleled shine with a 6.5ft swivel cord & dual voltage.
- 1000W Dryeer with far infrared, lightweight ergonomic design with collapsible handle, DC motor, 6.5 ft swivel cord and dual voltage.
- 2-year limited warranty
- Travel 3-in-1 Iron
- 1000W Travel Dryer w/ Nozzle & Diffuser
- Black Travel Zip Bag