At CHI, we know you can’t treat curly hair like straight hair. You’ve got great volume, but odds are you’ve spent time fighting frizz and targeting tangles. But stress no more! Whether you’re rocking tight coils, ringlets, or loose waves, we can give you some pointers to help you enhance your curl pattern and embrace your natural curls. Let’s go on a tour of five common curly hair challenges and solutions you can use to make sure every day is a great hair day.
1. Frizz Control
I think we can all agree that frizz is the worst. Humidity, heat, and even brushing can cause your curls to frizz out of control, leaving you feeling more like Hagrid than Hailey Bieber. To address this issue effectively.
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner: These products are gentler on your hair and help retain moisture. Fortunately, CHI offers a wide range of sulfate free products (like our CHI Vibes line!) so you never have to resort to hair-zapping, drugstore shampoos.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner: After washing your hair, apply a leave-in conditioner to keep your curls hydrated and reduce frizz. We like BioSilk’s Silk Therapy with Natural Coconut Oil Leave-In Treatment.
- Avoid over-brushing: Limit brushing or combing your curls when dry, as it can disrupt your curl pattern and lead to frizz. Instead, use a wide-toothed comb or your fingers when necessary.
2. Knots and Tangles
Curly hair pros: beautiful texture, natural volume. One of the cons? Tangles. Trying to detangle your curls can take forever, and it can also lead to hair breakage and unnecessary damage. Here’s how you can tackle tangles once and for all:
- Detangle when wet: Use a detangling brush or a wide-toothed comb when your hair is wet and covered in conditioner to minimize breakage. We like this eco-friendly one!
- Deep conditioning: Regularly deep condition your hair to keep it soft and manageable. This aloe vera based leave in is perfect for nourishing curls during your next self-care day.
- Silk pillowcases: Sleeping on silk pillowcases can help reduce friction and prevent overnight tangles.
3. Flat Roots and Volume Loss
Curly hair has natural volume, but sometimes the sheer weight of the curls can result in the dreaded “triangle:” flat roots, and volumized ends, making their hair look, well, like a triangle.
- Diffuser attachment: Use a diffuser attachment on your hairdryer to lift and separate your curls at the roots.
- Hair mousse or foam: Apply a lightweight hair mousse or foam specifically designed for curly hair to your roots for added volume.
- Pineappling: Try the “pineappling” method by gathering your hair into a loose ponytail at the crown of your head when you sleep to maintain root volume.
4. Undefined Curls
Sometimes, curly hair can lose its natural curl pattern and appear undefined. To bring back those gorgeous curls:
- Curl-enhancing products: Invest in curl-enhancing products like creams, gels, or serums to define and shape your curls. Click the link for our collection of curl care products.
- Plopping: Try the “plopping” method by wrapping your hair in a microfiber towel or t-shirt to enhance your natural curls.
- Regular trims: Get regular trims to prevent split ends and maintain the health of your curls.
5. Dryness and Lack of Shine
Curly girls often think they can’t get in on the glass hair trend due to dryness, when the right products can keep their hair hydrated and healthy. To keep your curls moisturized and shiny:
- Deep conditioning masks: Use deep conditioning masks or treatments to nourish your hair.
- Avoid excessive heat styling: Limit the use of heat styling tools to prevent further damage. Our CHI LAVA line of tools allow for styling at lower temperatures, so you can minimize damage and maximize style
Curly hair is beautiful, vibrant, and unique. Addressing frizz, knots, flat roots, definition, and dryness may seem like a lot, but at CHI we’re here to make your curly hair journey easy and rewarding. No matter what your hair type, at CHI we’ve got you covered!